I had a super sleepless night yesterday, where I lay on my bed at around 1.30am. Tossed and turned on my bed. The problems I was facing were damn alive on my memory, they didn't want to sleep. The whole night I was busy pondering over whatever has happened and whether I have made the right decisions.
I need to settle them as soon as possible. I don't want to see myself lost inside the maze of troubles, I need to find my way out.
Just when I needed guidance, I saw this book on the table. Discussions of Youth.

Discussions on Youth is a book written by our most beloved Sensei, Daiseku Ikeda.
"I trust all of you. I live for your happiness, for your future. You are the hope of humanity. Each of you is hope itself. Each possesses a precious treasure. "
"Please accept this book as a companion on the journey called life, and live courageously in the twenty-first century - the most important century for humankind. " - Daiseku Ikeda
I picked this book up almost immediately, because I was rather sure I can find my answers in it. This book is written just for youths like you and me! It talks about challenges faced of youths, friendship, love, how should we improve ourselves, why we should have faith etc.
Today, I'm going to talk about
Part I , The Hopes of Youth.
Alot of you might be asking, why should we study? What good does it make if we study hard, get good grades, get into university etc. Your parents have always nagged at you to study hard, arrange for you to various tuition classes etc. Have you ever wonder why they are doing so?
In this chapter, Ikeda mentioned that
:: a truly great person is a friend to those who are suffering, pain and misery. ::
This is because more often than not, people who are living on this earth, and are suffering, in pain or in misery, are ostracised, despised, and pushed to the margin. And many of our leaders are guilty of doing this, which is a deplorable mistake.
That is why, all of us should study, study hard for the sole purpose to find out more to help the people who are suffering.
Next question : Is entering the University the best thing in life?
He said, yes. Being in the university helps cultivate and fosters student's abilities and capabilities, and also to equip them with certain qualifications so that they are able to contribute to more people in the society one day.
Next thing I wanna talk about is Friendship. Quoted from the book :
"You cannot choose your parents, but since you can choose your friends, it is an important choice to think about. "
Thought provoking? Yes.
The chapter also states that in any event, it is important to understand that friendship depends on you, not the other party. It all comes down to your attitude and contribution. Be a loyal friend where you enjoy together and go through hardships together.
In many cases, when you find that the last thing you want to see of your close friend is him/her being cold to you all of a sudden, and when that happens, youths tend to choose to find out what was wrong in fear of getting hurt , the other friend too, is also feeling lonely and rejected.
I can totally relate to this.
Thus, we are encouraged to make the first move and open up the channels of communications. If that still fails, Ikeda says, then you should feel sorry for your friend instead.
Another thing I found meaningful and is a must to share was,
::It is crucial to be courageous and live proudly, believing in yourselves. Those who betray or bully others are the ones truly to be pitied."
I reflected on the things I have done, which may have been wrong. I'm guilty of them and I'm willing to change for the better.
Many thoughts came across me when I was reading this chapter. People do make mistakes, I do too. What I hope for is everyone to be forgiving and tolerate each other's flaws. I sincerely want the best for you guys and if my approach somehow stepped on your tails, or offended you, I'm truly sorry. Only receiving friends with an open heart, willing to help each other in any situations, you will then see the true value of friendships. I will pray and chant for all of you to be happy. I sincerely hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment